The first time you travel to Matera, it could be difficult to find your way and understand which is the best way to reach your destination. But do not worry, we prepared a list of the main means of transport to reach Matera and Casa Netural.
- From the Adriatic coast, highway A14 Bologna-Taranto, take the exit Bari Nord, follow the industrial zone towards Altamura-Matera, then continue on the SS 96 (Bari) -Altamura) and then on the SS 99 (Altamura-Matera);
- From the Tyrrhenian coast, highway A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria, follow the signs for Potenza (exit Sicignano-Potenza), then take the SS 407 Basentana and exit near Ferrandina following the signs for Matera;
- From Calabria and Sicily: reach the SS 106 Jonica Taranto-Reggio Calabria (from the A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria highway exit at Sibari) towards Taranto, continue until you reach the Matera exit.
There are two possibilities: fly to Bari or Brindisi.
From Bari Palese airport you can get to Casa Netural in two ways:
- directly from the airport: with the shuttles that leave from the pitch outside the airport and reach the city center of Matera (Piazza Matteotti). If you immediately come to Casa Netural, you can stop before the center, in via Don Luigi Sturzo, very close to Casa Netural.
- from the central railway station of Bari (FS): with the Appulo Lucane Railways (FAL*), the regional railroad that connects Bari to Matera with regular services, every hour and a half.The nearest bus stop is just 5 minutes’ walk from Casa Netural (Villa Longo bus stop). To take the FAL, you have to reach the central station of Bari from the airport, and you have two choices:
> the bus line Amtab number 16, you take it just outside the airport and arrive to Piazza Moro (travel time about 45 minutes).
> the Ferrovie del Nord Barese, ferrotramvia that from the airport brings you to Bari Central Station (in about 17 minutes).
*On Sundays and public holidays, the train service is not available but there are substitute buses that leave from the immediate proximity of the Central Station. Timetables are always available on the site FAL (Ferrovie Appulo Lucane): simply search by flagging the bus option.
There are currently no direct connections between Brindisi airport and Matera, unless you take a taxi, so:
- we suggest you to reach the station of Brindisi with the bus STP. You can check costs and timetables here. They also have a great whatsapp service.
- when you get to the Brindisi station, we suggest you to take the train to Bari and then from the Central Station, take the FAL, the regional railroad that connects Bari to Matera with regular trains, every hour and a half. The nearest bus stop is just 5 minutes’ walk from Casa Netural Villa Longo.
- another possibility you have is to take the STP bus (line 8) towards the City Court (Tribunale) and from there you can take a bus of the company Miccolis that leads to Matera. There are 4 trips a day with timetables and prices available here . Tickets can be purchased online from www.miccolis-spa.it
The nearest stations are Ferrandina Scalo (39 km) and Bari (66 km)
- Ferrandina Scalo: this is not the easiest way. From here it is necessary to take a SitaSud bus, whose timetables can be viewed here.
- Bari, on the other hand, is connected to the city of the Sassi by the Appulo-Lucane Railways (FAL)*. The departure terminal of the FAL is in the building adjacent to the central station (find the signs). The FAL have fares to Matera every hour and a half (about 12 a day). It takes 90 minutes to get to Matera. The nearest bus stop is just 5 minutes’ walk from Casa Netural Villa Longo.
*on Sundays and on public holidays the train service is not available but there are buses and timetables are always on the site FAL (Ferrovie Appulo Lucane): just search by flagging the bus option.
Recently, Matera has also been connected to the national high-speed rail network through a Trenitalia shuttle bus service, called “Freccia Link“. The Freccia Link service is directly connected to the Freccia Rossa, so it is not possible to book the mini-bus indipentently from a seat on the Freccia Rossa train passing by the railway station of Salerno.
Buses are a good option.
- Flixbus connects Matera to various cities throughout Italy, the Don Luigi Sturzo stop is very close to Casa Netural.
- Marozzi has daily trips from Rome, Siena, Pisa and Florence. You have to book in advance.
- Sita unites Matera with Taranto, Metaponto and other small towns in the province.
- Miccolis guarantees bus connections between Matera and various cities in the South: Taranto, Brindisi, Lecce, Salerno, Naples and Caserta.
- Marino unites Matera in Milan, Bologna, Naples and various foreign cities.
- Grassani connects the two capitals of Basilicata, Matera and Potenza
- FAL the railways appulo lucane also offer travel by bus from Puglia to Matera.